« back      

7 o’clock in the morning in Ulan Bator

Me in the Gobi Desert.


I love to roam the streets of Ulan Bator, U.B in the mornings with Tanja. There are only a few cars plying on the road. The sky is coloured red and there are hardly any people on the road too. Also, we have found a park here where I can have an awesome run and all I can say about the fragrance of this city is that I love it seamlessly. Since I now not only get dog food but also mixed humans food, the tastebuds of my sniffworld have surely expanded.

Not every corner in U.B. is relaxed at 7 am in the morning. A few days ago, we were at the Gandan Monastery. Although as early as it was, the atmosphere there was fantastic and wonderfully fresh. Since it was a quick visit, we were already on our way home. But a dog suddenly appeared flashing his teeth towards me, flared at me and bit me in the tail. Tanja had already thrown a stone at him when she saw him running towards us, but it didn’t seem like he felt anything. Tanja yelled at him. He looked irritated for a moment. He then pulled himself back with the large chunk of my hair in his mouth, only to attack again. Tanja kicked him in the foot to keep him at a distance. Two Mongolian men came and threw stones on the attacker dog to drive him away and pursued him until he disappeared at the next corner. Tanja stood besides me with a pepper spray and took a look at my back and said, “All right big boy… He only got hold of your feathers.” However, we were thankful to the men.

People, I was happy to be back on our Yurt over the roofs of U.B. Post an extensive breakfast, I slept righteously. Later, we learnt that the area where our Yurt was situated, was home for many dogs. They roamed around and sometimes, were a cause of trouble too. However, my colleagues out there had a better life than the watch-dog who lived at our accommodation. The poor guy lived his life in a 50 metre short chain, which he couldn’t even get rid of. He was one of the saddest dogs you could ever imagine.

On a Saturday afternoon we wanted to take our usual route to the park. It was a market day and the place was very crowded. I walked very close to Tanja and suddenly heard "Jon, Jon, Jon!" which meant wolf in Mongolian language. And the people around me actually believed that I was a wolf. It was alright for me. Suddenly, the children started running around wildly. They pressed against us and started screaming loudly. Tanja turned around quickly, formed a mouth with her right hand and presumed that it was biting her left hand. "Hatza, hatza!" (Bites, bites), she called out loudly. Listening to that, the children sprung back. We left the market as fast as possible.

If I am not going for a walk, I am lying near Denis’s feet as he pens down all our experiences. I enjoy life in a Yurt. My favourite game starts by late afternoon. My people hide the ball on the roofs of the Yurts and I have to find the ball. The nights are cool. I fell asleep listening to the barking on the dogs around and dream of our experiences in the past few days.

The live reporting has been facilitated by the firms Gesat Ltd. (www.gesat.com) and Roda Computer Ltd. (http://roda-computer.com/). The satellite phone ‘Explorer 300’ of Gesat and the rugged notebook ‘Pegasus RP9’ of Roda are the pillars supporting the transmission.

We are happy about comments!